SAFETY PRECAUTIONS FOR WONDER FISSURE
Recommendations For Usage Of WONDER FISSURE
- Use a pair of safely glasses, rubber gloves and dust mask when working.
- DO NOT look at any hole closely or directly within 2 - 3 hours after filling, as there may be splatter or a blowout.
- Store mixed or dry WONDER FISSURE, properly.
- Choose the correct grade according to the working conditions.
Usage Tips - Some points to achieve better results:
- Mix well and pour, while agitating the slurry, to make sure that no air gaps are left in the hole.
- Fill the hole almost to the top, leaving at least ½ inch before reaching the top.
- In summer, the best time to use WONDER FISSURE is early morning or evening when temperature of the material is low. High material temperature might cause blowouts.
- In summer, cover the holes to avoid direct sunlight, by using a tarpaulin or wet hay.
- When the ambient temperature is high, put some ice into the water, and then mix with WONDER FISSURE.
- Depending on the material to be cracked, WONDER FISSURE may be mixed with more water to lower the costs.
- For better results, it is important to note both air and material temperature. Material temperature is the temperature inside the rock or concrete which can be different from the air temperature. DO NOT GUESS! Tie a string on the thermometer and lower it into the drill hole.
- In winter, mix 1% calcium chloride with WONDER FISSURE.
- If WONDER FISSURE has completely dried into powder and there are no cracks, then pour additional water onto WONDER FISSURE filled holes.
- Never fill glass or metal containers with WONDER FISSURE or any container that widens towards the bottom.
- Never pump WONDER FISSURE with pressure.
- Mixing by hand lengthens mixing time, and is more likely to result in a blowout.
- When rock or concrete temperature is above 23°C, add approximately 150 ml of extra water per 5 Kg bag.
- Holes have to be cleared after hole drilling
- For marble the hole depth has to be 95% - 98%
- To make the splitting faster, more number of holes are to be made closer to each other.
- For 5 kg of WONDER FISSURE 1.5 ltr clean cold water has to be added.
- The mixture has to be continuously stirred to avoid lumps
- The mixture has to be poured within 5 minutes of preparation
- After filling the holes, cover the same with tarpaulin to avoid direct sunlight
- Cold Water may be added to the holes after 2 hours to speed up the process.
- For 5 kg powder add 1.5-ltr water, the total volume will become 2.68 ltr. This is sufficient to fill 11 running feet of 32 mm holes with the mixture.
- The advantage of using WONDER FISSURE is very clear i.e. NO EXPLOSION IS REQUIRED.
- Shelf life of WONDER FISSURE is one year -Two years depending on the storage conditions, i.e. humidity, ambient temperature etc.
- The thumb rule has to be kept in mind, which is: A = K X D, where A is the hole spacing in mm, D is the Hole Dia, and K is the cracking coefficient of stone.
- Kindly study carefully the Sections: "Hole Design" on the website, and printed catalog.
- The best results can be achieved by intensive study of our catalog/CD/ Web site and with experiments on the actual work site, as the hardness, density and other parameters of stone / concrete to be cracked and working conditions vary from time to time and place to place.
- FLUC GmbH and its staff are always available for any technical / commercial discussion in this regard
- Do not use WONDER FISSURE for purposes than cracking rocks or concrete.
- WONDER FISSURE is a highly alkaline product. The Ph reaches 13 after contact with water and can cause severe irritation to mucous membranes, especially eyes. Rinse with large amounts of water any portion of the skin that comes in contact with WONDER FISSURE. Consult a doctor immediately.
- Wear safety glasses, rubber gloves and a helmet during WONDER FISSURE handling, mixing and filling. Wear a dust mask when using WONDER FISSURE in poorly ventilated areas such as tunnels or mines.
- Do not pour and leave WONDER FISSURE in bottles or cans to avoid shattering of the bottle or can.
- Do not look directly into any holes for at least 6 hours after pouring. WONDER FISSURE may splatter or blow out of the hole due to heat generation when temperature of material to be broken is over the temperatures found in the temperature chart. Do not get your face close to or stand near filled holes for at least 3 hours after completion of filling.
- Shelter the holes from rain or sunlight only with a tarpaulin sheet.
- Do not use hot water.
- Do not mix over one bag (5 kg, 11 b.) of WONDER FISSURE with water at a time.
- Use the proper grade of WONDER FISSURE.
- Keep out of reach of children
Notes On WONDER FISSURE Working
- The most cost effective demolition technique for ledge is often a combination of WONDER FISSURE (to produce cracks) and a hydraulic hammer or a jackhammer. Drill holes can be spaced out further in this case.
- The best way to demolish underwater rocks or concrete is to build a cofferdam and pump out the area. WONDER FISSURE hardens in fifteen to twenty minutes, and after that the area can be flooded again.
- WONDER FISSURE must be used in holes; pouring it into existing cracks in the rock will not work.
- Safety glasses must be worn at all times by everyone in the area. Hard hats and steel-toed boots are a good idea on any construction or demolition site. As an added benefit, use of safety gear enhances your professional image in the eyes of the public.
- When using the usable temperature chart, bear in mind that the actual drill hole temperature may be much higher than the surrounding air temperature if it is in the sun or affected by nearby heat from machinery or from drilling the holes.
- Cold temperature, hard rock, or holes spaced too far apart can lengthen breaking times. If it did not break overnight-wait a while before assuming failure. WONDER FISSURE continues to increase pressure for 24 - 28 hours
- When mixed, if WONDER FISSURE begins to steam in the bucket, add ½ gallon or more of water, stir, and throw it away. You've allowed too much time to pass from beginning to mix.
- If filled holes start to smoke or steam, that is a sign they may be about to blowout. Immediately clear the area of people. The vapors are only steam, and are not hazardous or toxic in any way.
Blowouts - Causes and Precautions
WHAT CAN CAUSE A BLOWOUT?
- Using too large a hole diameter.
- Using too warm mix water. See the temperature chart.
- Using too little water, especially when rock or concrete is above 23 °C.
- Too much time passing between beginning to mix and filling holes.
- Mixing by hand.
- Guessing at drill hole temperature instead of measuring it.
- Guessing at water temperature instead of measuring it.
- Holes that are too shallow. Depth MUST be 4 times the diameter or more.
- Allowing the powder to become too hot before mixing with water.
- A "know-it-all" attitude that causes some people to ignore this manual instead of reading it thoroughly, cover to cover.
- Holes drilled closer than 10 " apart in soft rock or concrete, in hot weather
- Drill hole diameter 1½" is the best to work with
- Blowouts will usually not occur more than 3 hours after filling holes.
HOW TO PREVENT BLOW OUT SHOTS
- Use the right grade of WONDER FISSURE for the temperature range, especially with rock or concrete.
- Keep every source of heat away from WONDER FISSURE
- Do no store WONDER FISSURE in direct sunlight or near a source of heat. Cool WONDER FISSURE before use.
- Do not mix WONDER FISSURE into small or narrow-mouthed plastic cans or bowls. Instead use a metal bucket.
- Cool every tool you are going to use before mixing.
- Use the indicated water amount (11.5 liter for each bag of 5 kg of product)
- Do not use hot water to mix WONDER FISSURE
- Mix manually no more than two bags (10 kg) for each batch at a time.
- Mix thoroughly, avoiding lump formation for at least 2 - 3 minutes.
- If the mortar becomes slightly stiff, add a little more water to achieve the right fluidity.
- Pour all freshly mixed mortar into holes within 5 minutes of mixing.
- Do not overfill the holes
- Do not tamp filled holes with bars or similar tools
- Do not plug holes with hard or setting materials after filling.
- Do not pour WONDER FISSURE mortar into glass bottles or similar containers; the pressure will shatter the glass. Dispose off unused mortar only after substantial dilution with water on an open surface.